How I got started. Okay here we go for Part 1 on how I got started. I am going to talk a little about my journey and hopefully it will help some of you to begin your path of reaching YOUR POTENTIAL. So, What is your potential? Who even knows? You know what I do know?! I get to choose my future and so I’m going to make it freaking awesome because I want a lot of things for myself. I bring happiness into my life. My husband, dad, mother, kids, sister, best friend, etc. don’t make or break my happiness because I have the power to be happy.
Does that make you motivated or a little uncomfortable? Depending on how you feel about that last paragraph, I want you to identity your feeling (with one word). If I heard those words one year ago, my feeling would be annoyed. I wanted more for myself and had plenty of ideas to get started with things, but I was lacking the confidence in myself. So after having my second baby, I got back into the Dr for depression medication and I knew that I had two options:
- Sit on the couch and envy the lives other people had
- Do something to create the life I want
Here is where it gets fun! You get to decide your future. What do you want? What is your dream home? Do you want to travel? Do you want a new car? What do YOU want?
At first I felt guilty because I was focusing on things that I WANTED rather than NEEDED- and then I listened to Jody Moore’s podcasts:
- “How To Get Started On Your Goals (Ep. 78)
- “Finding Yourself: Discovering What Defines You (Ep.52)
- “Anxiety (Ep. 109)
I realized that wanting more for my future, whether it’s materialistic or not, IS OK! That does not mean that I am ungrateful for what I have now. I believed that I couldn’t want more for myself because I needed to focus on what I had in the moment. HOLY CRAP. NOOOOO! NO! NO! NO! I have found that I am even more grateful for what I have now especially when I start to think about all of my desires for my future. Here are some steps that really helped me get started with changing my mindset ( I still do these almost every single day). I SWEAR TO YOU that they work. Your mindset changes the more consistent you become with these practices and then BAM your life starts to change. I AM NOT KIDDING. And if you miss a day…who freaking cares. Don’t be hard on yourself but don’t let yourself down. Tomorrow is a new day so commit to it.
- GRATITUDE. Write down 10 things I am grateful for everyday. (Caffeine is on my lists at least 4x a week)
- EXERCISE. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. I don’t care if you walk around your neighborhood or around Target. Get out of that house! EVERYDAY!
- MANAGE YOUR BRAIN. Listen to a podcast. At this point…I listen to 3-4 podcasts a day. I don’t usually listen to music when I workout so I can finish 2 30 minute podcasts in a session. Some podcasts I listen to everyday are:
- Jody Moore- Better Than Happy
- Brooke Castillo- The Life School Podcast
- Alison Faulkner- Awesome With Alison
- Rachel Hollis- RISE Together
- AFFIRMATIONS. Daily affirmations. I do them every morning with my boys (ages 2 and 1) on the way to school or the gym. They usually one of two ways:
- Me: “TODAY IS A GOOD DAY!” Mac: “TODAY IS A GOOD DAY!”
Me: “I am smart.” Mac: “NO”
Me: “I am kind.” Mac: “NO”
Me: “I am good at listening to my teacher.” Mac: “NO”
2. Me: “TODAY IS A GOOOOOO…” Mac: “GOOD DAY!”
Me: “I am smart like Iron Man.” Mac (in a deep voice): “ I am smart like Iron Man.”
Me: “I am strong like the Hulk.” Mac (still in his Hulk voice): “ I am strong like the Hulk.”
You get it. You make it work and some days they say it, but I mostly do it for myself because I need to tell myself those things everyday.
You have two options. You can sit on the couch and choose to be depressed or you get up and get something done. I honestly feel like I am allowed to say that because I am currently diagnosed with depression (and am on an antidepressant) but I can still CHOOSE to be happy and live an awesome freaking life. So start. Just start. Give yourself a little credit for being awesome. You’re smart. You’re strong. You’re living the life that you were supposed to be given- but you make your future. You determine your thoughts and actions. You get to choose how you feel and think about things. I love you guys. December is going to be a great month and an awesome start to freaking 2019 (where we are all going to kill it and start living our dreams).
You guys are so awesome. I LOVE YOU because you are you.